When times get tough, the tough get…protein. Well, I do anyway. As I mentioned a while back, when I feel a period of excess stress approaching I often turn to maca root powder to help keep my hormones and emotions on an even keel. But another weapon I like to keep in my arsenal against anxiety, is a stash of protein-packed, blood sugar stabilizing snacks at the ready to power me through long days or hard-core workouts. And these little bites should preferably have the ability to be prepared well ahead of time and frozen, OR be whipped up in an emergency energy situation with ingredients that I often have on hand.
Enter: Emergency Pantry Protein Bars.
Pantry Protein Bars
· 1/2 C protein powder (chocolate or vanilla flavour is nice)
· 1 C oat bran (or blender pulverized rolled oats)
· 1 C crispy brown rice cereal
· 1 t cinnamon
· 1 T flax seeds
· 2 T raw cacao powder
· Pinch sea salt
· 3/4 nut butter of choice
· 1/2 C agave syrup
· 1 t vanilla
1. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
2. In a small sauce pan over low heat, melt rice syrup, nut butter & vanilla until well combined and smooth.
3. Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir well to incorporate. This mix will be STICKY. Use your hands if you have to. It takes some real elbow grease!
4. Press into an 8X8 baking pan. Freeze for 10 minutes to an hour, and then cut into bars. Store in the freezer or fridge individually wrapped, and snack at will!