MAP Wellness

MAP Wellness
Spreading the Health

Monday, March 12, 2012

Kale & Eazy Breezy Fruit Salad


This is the next in a series of yummy summer-y salads I created while holiday-ing down in Florida with my mother in early March.  I knew heading down there, that I would have the time and freedom to prepare 3 meals a day for mom and I, plus the chance to shop til I dropped at the many local grocery stores.  My options were endless when it came to fresh produce, and boy do I love combining sweet and savoury in my main dish meals!

For this dish's inspiration, I had printed out a recipe for a mango-banana-pineapple-kale salad from a fave blog - "Oh She Glows".  I was making it for dinner for mom and I on what would have been my parents 39th wedding anniversary (my father passed away in May of 2011).  I had to make a few major adjustments to the recipe in order to utilize the produce available, and the limited pantry items on hand in our Florida home.  I also felt the salad was missing veggies, so I added some corn on the cob on the side to round the meal out.  The following is my very personalized adaptation for one huge serving (meg style!) or 2 smaller servings.  Enjoy!

Whatcha Need:

DRESSING:
- juice of 1 lime, and 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 C canned lite coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 very ripe banana
- 2 Tbsp. mango chunks

SALAD:
- 4 C chopped, cleaned kale
- 1 ripe mango, chopped
- 1/2 ripe banana, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. shredded dried coconut
- 1/4 C macadamia nuts, chopped
- crumbled, toasted tempeh

Whatcha do:
1. Using immersion blender, combine all dressing ingredients.
2. In large bowl, combine 1/3 of dressing with kale, massaging the dressing into the leaves to marinate.
3. Chop the fruit, add to kale.  Add additional dressing as desired.
4. To serve, plate the salad & top with tempeh, coconut, & nuts.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment