It felt simply tropical, what with the humidity and all, so it got me thinking about fruity main dish salads, and what better time to explore my options, than whilst down in orange country! The day we arrived, I saw a plump, juicy papaya at "SweetBay" grocer calling my name, so I had to buy it...this is what I made of it. Enjoy!
- mixed greens/ chopped kale
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 fresh papaya
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 portion tempeh, crumbled
- shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 Tbsp. "mom's fig spread" (recipe follows)
- 1.5 Tbsp. Moscato wine
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Toss tempeh and macadamia nuts into a dry skillet, and toast until lightly golden.
2. With a fork, combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl/cup, adjusting seasoning as required.
3. Assemble salad ingredients in a large bowl, adding dressing to combine.
4. Plate salad, top with tempeh/nut combo & shredded coconut.
Dig in, and send your senses down south!
"Mom's Fig Spread"
- 1 round unit of dried figs (you can find these in your grocer's produce section)
- 3 Tbsp. sugar, sucanat, or sweetener of your choice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (freshly squeezed, please!)
1. Chop up all the figs into small pieces (scissors/shears are great for this!), removing hard stems.
2. Boil 1 1/2 cups water in small sauce pan.
3. Add figs & sweetener to water, stirring, & then remove from heat. Let sit for 20 minutes.
4. Bring fig mixture back to a boil, & then reduce to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, & stir in lemon juice.
6. Once cooled slightly, add to blender/food processor, puree until smooth!
This concoction is a super topper on almond cheese crustinis, as a spread on grilled cheese sammies, and a wonderful addition to any dish that includes balsamic vinegar. So sweet and crunchy good, plus a great source of calcium too!