I can not believe that the dear sweet summer is drawing to a close in the next few weeks. It is a sad thought surely, but the silver lining is that the bounty of the fall harvest is just around the bend! But for now, we should revel in the glory that is the present, and what’s in season now, is Ontario watermelon! I picked up a HUGE one this week and decided to get creative with how I could incorporate it into as many recipes possible.
Watermelon is comprised of about 92 percent water, which makes it highly hydrating, and it is also well known that is a great source of the antioxidant lycopene. But, did you know that it is also jam-packed with potassium, which helps the body maintain proper electrolyte balance and assists in muscle and nerve function? And hey, Watermelon also contains the amino acid arginine, which can help maintain arteries, blood flow and overall cardiovascular function.
So what better food to use in a pre-workout morning smoothie, right? I decided to whip up one up after my morning run, and with the addition of ginger, kale and a few other delicious add-ins, I came up with this super powered, super hydrating, and super yummy smoothie. I have enjoyed it countless times since:
End of Summer Smoothie: Get Your Greens On!
· 2 C Ontario watermelon
· ½ C coconut water (100% pure, no added sugars)
· 1.5 T fresh orange juice
· ½ Ontario peach
· ½ T grated fresh ginger
· ¾ C organic kale (OR sub-in a collard leaf or spinach)
· 3-4 leaves fresh organic basil (OR parsley)
· 1 T goji berries (optional)
· 4-5 ice cubes
1. Add to blender all the ingredients, in the order listed (putting the melon and liquid at the bottom of the jar will help get the blending going).
2. Pour into a tall glass, and enjoy (with a straw!)